Thursday, March 5, 2015

Finishing Project 1!

Wednesday night I stayed late at work, but we finished! I think the project proposal has a lot of potential. We have a lot of new ideas in there that are unique and intriguing, which will set our project apart from the others. The project is based on three main ideas. 1. Breaking boundaries. Fences, roads, and parked cars in the area create barriers that prevent pedestrians from being able to access public areas or even cross the street. We are moving parking underground and opening up a series of public spaces and pedestrian routes to link them, which leads to point 2. The main road is very linear, but we are hoping to break that linearity by creating a path that is varying and interesting. People can weave in and out of the new housing complexes and commercial spaces to find parks and new green piazzas. Rather than going directly from point A to point B, they will have many choices as to how they want to move. 3. We are moving green space to the top level of the buildings and connecting them through a series of skyways, so that people living in the new housing will be able to socialize and connect on their semi-private green roofs.

I have Spring Break now (great timing!), but I think I will be starting on a new competition when I get back. I never realized before how many architectural competitions there are! I think they are a good way for firms to gain practice, money, and prestige.

No comments:

Post a Comment