Wednesday, March 11, 2015

New Project

This week, I began a new competition! This one is called Santa Caterina in Sant' Antioco, right off the coast of Sardinia. The site was once an industrial factory used to extract coal and oil and transport the resources around the world. There is only one very large building in the area, which we are aiming to preserve and repurpose for tourist housing and governmental purposes. The rest of the landscape is ours to do with what we please. Right now, I have a great deal of freedom with the project, considering that there are no limits to what we can do with the coastline and the surrounding landscape and we haven't been given many documents as to the dimensions or interior of the building. I am basically just making it up as I go, which is both fantastic and a bit intimidating. What is clear is that we need to do something very drastic with this site because there needs to be a clear change from what it is now. Federica said something about trying to cut the building in half? and adding terraces around the building so that it looks like it is branching outwards. I never completely know what is in her head, but usually I just take what she says and interpret it as best I can and she ends up liking it, so that's what I'm going to do.
I'm hoping to find out when the deadline for this project is soon because last time, I didn't ask, and before I knew it, we had one week to complete the project. That was frightening. I think we have longer on this one, but who knows? Federica has a friend who is actually travelling in Sant 'antioco right now, and we are waiting for him to send us pictures of the site so that we can get an idea of what the area actually looks like and what the interior of the building is like. Until then, I am just working on a preliminary 3D model of the area in Rhino. I'm trying to be as accurate as possible, but honestly, I'm just guessing because I have nothing to go off of--no dimensions, no pictures, no plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment